- LG launched a slim mobile TV phone, less than 11 mm thick.
- Samsung announced two "ultra-slim" mobile TV handsets, the SCH-B510 which supports S-DMB and the SPH-B5100 which supports T-DMB.
- Samsung also announced the SCH-B560, a rotating-screen T-DMB handset.
- The SCH-B600, Samsung's new 10-Megapixel camera phone, includes an S-DMB receiver.
- Motorola announced a satellite DMB phone for the Korean market called "Moto View".
- Taiwanese handset vendor Gigabyte announced the GSmart i200 handset, a DVB-H device running Windows Mobile 5.0, and featuring a VGA display. The handset includes a mobile TV receiver chip by Siano Mobile Silicon, and DVB-H client software by Panthera.
- Another handset powered by the Siano receiver was unveiled by by Chinese ODM TechFaith Wireless. The handset is a dual-mode mobile TV phone, supporting T-DMB, DAB-IP and DVB-H.
Tuesday, October 24, 2006
New Mobile TV Handsets
According to a new report by ABI Research, penetration of mobile TV handsets in Japan and Korea is increasing, with over 14% of Korean handsets already supporting mobile broadcast TV. In the past two weeks, we have witnessed a flood of mobile TV device announcements originating in South East Asia. Here are some examples: